27 March 2015

Banana, Pecan and Maple Porridge


This has been my go to indulgent but healthy breakfast recently. I often have this at the weekend when I fancy something a little sweeter than my usual choices. The flavours go really well together and overall have an almost caramel like taste. The maple syrup in this recipe is completely optional. It is a natural sweetener, but if you are not feeling so indulgent simply leave it out and it will still taste great. Please note that I like quite small portions for my meals and this recipe is exactly as I make it for myself; feel free to increase the quantities (keeping the oats and milk in proportion).

Serves 1

You will need:

160ml Almond Milk (or your milk of choice)
25g Rolled Oats
Half a Banana
 ½ tsp Cinnamon
A Small Handful of Pecan Nuts
Maple Syrup to taste

Method:

  1.  Start by slicing up the banana. (I like to cut the slices in half, usually using my spatula while the porridge is cooking in the pan.)
  2. Add the milk, oats, banana and cinnamon to a small saucepan. Over a medium heat, cook the porridge until it thickens stirring occasionally. This usually takes about 5 minutes.
  3. While the porridge is cooking, pre-heat a frying pan to a medium heat. Chop the pecan halves into about 2 or 3 pieces and add to the pan to toast for a couple of minutes. 
  4. Pour the porridge into a bowl, top with the pecan nuts, pour on the maple syrup and enjoy! (I usually go for 1 or 2 tsp of maple syrup.)
Optional: I sometimes add in a dessert spoonful of ground flaxseed while the porridge is cooking for extra nutrients!

No comments:

Post a Comment